International Trade Development Programme opportunities
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is an international economic department, responsible for securing UK and global prosperity by promoting and financing international trade and investment, and championing free trade. And we believe the best trade professionals come from all walks of life.
Here, your personality and passion matter more to us than any places or dates on your CV. That’s why, even if you haven’t worked in international business or government before, you could be the perfect fit for our exciting new International Trade Development Programme.
Naturally, after two years with us, you’ll have plenty of impressive experience to add to your CV. But more importantly: you’ll be on your way to becoming one of the very best international trade professionals.
What you’ll do
Our two-year programme is made up of four separate work placements:
• Spend six months with the Trade Policy Group (TPG) in the UK.
• Spend six months with the Global Trade and Investment (GTI) team in the UK.
• Spend six months working overseas.
• A final six months working with another UK-based team, which will be carefully chosen to prepare you
for your next international trade career move.
In return for your commitment and interest, we’ll teach you all sorts of vital skills, including:
• Researching and developing new policy thinking.Policy helps an organisation to achieve its objectives
by providing a set of principles, rules and guidelines that are used as the basis for making decisions. Read more about Trade Policy
• Building relationships with contacts in partner markets.
• Reporting orally and in writing on the policy and projects you’re involved in.
• Handling Parliamentary and public correspondence.
• Working with stakeholders across government and beyond.
This is your chance to gain invaluable experience as the UK establishes its own trade policy with the rest of the world for the first time in over 40 years.
Your overseas placement
For your six-month overseas posting, you’ll work in one of DIT’s 127 offices based across the world to support UK trade policy, exports and investment.
We’re looking for character and ambition over experience-packed CVs. And it doesn’t matter if you haven’t worked in government or business before. We want people who are keen to make a significant contribution to the government’s work in the UK and overseas.
You’ll also show:
• Good judgement and ask questions to develop your understanding
• Resilience and the ability to adapt while working in a fast-paced and changing environment
• An ability to use data to put together evidence-based suggestions to questions or problems
• The ability to persuade and influence others, and work with others to find solutions that meet the
If you can show evidence of the below, we’ll exchange it for all the training and experience you need.
• A strong interest in a career in international trade
• An ability to take a structured approach to developing policy
• An ability to develop oral briefing, communication and forward-thinking skills
• An interest in developing skills in programme and project management
If this sounds like you, and you’re ready to trade – apply for the programme now.
Are you ready to trade?
Applications open Monday 15th July.
International Trade Development Programme
Salary: £30,561 – £34,173
Employment Type: Fixed term
Location: London (with overseas travel)
Closing Date: 4th August 2019